Date: 1/9/18 12:53 pm
Subject: Re: hummingbird mortality
I still have at least one survivor here in Beaufort, NC. Although I only
had two regular hummers, I photographed as many as five birds coming to my
feeders during the cold snap. Some of them I didn't see often which made
me think there must be other feeders close to mine. I know of several
people in the neighborhood that keep feeders up all winter. I found out
today that one of those people was out of town during the cold weather and
returned to a frozen feeder. Perhaps her bird(s) were visiting my
feeders. Another person here still has two of three hummers.
Unfortunately she found the unlucky third hummer frozen. Hopefully other
Beaufort hummer hosts will have better reports. It has been interesting
this past week, but for wildlife it has just been stressful, and sometimes
fatal.

Marty Wall
Beaufort, NC

Join us on Facebook!