Date: 1/9/18 12:51 pm
From: Mark Stevenson <drbrdr...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] Whitewater Draw 8 January
Hi All,

It would be really great if someone got photos of the Stilt Sandpipers at Whitewater Draw.
They are exceptional in winter in AZ.

Mark Stevenson
Tucson, AZ

Subject: [AZNMbirds] Whitewater Draw 8 January
To: "AZ-NM Report Birds" <aznmbirds...>
Date: Monday, January 8, 2018, 8:32 PM

Just a quick note about
Whitewater, as the crane festival is rapidly approaching. I
birded there today with clients during late morning. At
noon, the cranes were still appearing by the hundreds from
the north. There was a reasonable flock of Snow Geese (one
dark morph), perhaps 50. No Ross's Geese were detected.
A nice diversity of ducks, several Vermilion Flycs, Lark
Buntings and a number of sparrows along the entrance roads.
We saw a single Tree Swallow and one snipe. Of particular
interest to me was the possibility of encountering the two
Stilt Sandpipers reported several days ago by Tony Battiste.
At 11:15, I noted nine Long-billed Dowitchers feeding near
the north observation dike and east of the first viewing
platform. At the edge of the dow flock were two Stilt
Sandpipers. We observed these in my 'scope and shared
them with other birders. The Stilt Sandpipers flew west to
another pool. We caught up with them about 20 minutes later.
While watching them, a flock of Least Sandpipers flew in
along with one additional Stilt Sandpiper that started to
feed in shallow water with the original two. During the last
14 years, have only seen Stilt Sandpipers as migrants in
Cochse County, never during winter.
Best,RAB
Bob
BehrstockHereford,