Date: 1/9/18 12:16 pm
From: <sharks_hockey_maniac...> [central_valley_birds] <central_valley_birds-noreply...>
Subject: [CVBirds] Re: Reichmuth Park Worm-eating Warbler, afternoon report (fail)
I just realized that this was posted to SJBirds and not CVBirds. So I'm posting the original message from Jim Rowoth from Sunday and my response from yesterday. Sorry if any made an attempt today and got their feet wet.

Ralph

---In <sjbirds...>, <rowoth@...> wrote :

Despite concerted effort, nearly a dozen birders were unsuccessful at relocating the Worm-eating Warbler at Reichmuth Park from 1:00 to 4:30 today. We searched the countless clusters of dead leaves from eye-level down in the vicinity of the frisbee golf tee #3 sign, where the trail forks, both sides of the trail, and found several clumps of black cottonwood leaves that appeared to match those in photos from earlier today. Skulkers that did reveal themselves included Hermit Thrush, Orange-crowned Warbler, Fox & Lincoln Sparrow, Pacific Wren (h.o. for me), along with Purple Finch, Bushtits, Spotted Towhee. I’ve only seen one report that mentions it occasionally vocalizing; we all listened intently this afternoon without detecting it. Some of us also searched the muddy dead-end trail on the E side of the ditch into the marsh.

Who knows how long this bird has been at this site, but I’d guess it is unlikely to take off, given the current and upcoming weather conditions. Plus there is apparently available of food here, so I wouldn’t give up. Anyone chasing this bird in the next several days, however, would be well advised to wear rubber boots, as it was quite muddy today, even before tomorrow’s forecast rain.

I’m sending this message in the belief that sometimes negative reports can be just as revealing as positive reports. Good luck!

Jim Rowoth
Stockton

Dale Swanberg and I spent three hours in the rain looking for the WEWA, starting at approx. 10:30 this morning. We dipped on the warbler but did see a male VARIED THRUSH. We searched the area near the #3 tee and the short dead-end trail (twice).

And to expand on Jim's warning about rubber boots: if you plan to look for this bird in the next few days I would advise wearing knee boots. The water was rising quite quickly while Dale and I were there, portions of the trails on both sides of the ditch were already partially flooded when we arrived and the water grew deeper as we waited. The trail on the east side was almost completely inundated when we left.

Ralph Baker, Riverbank

Join us on Facebook!