Date: 1/9/18 11:32 am
From: John Fussell <jofuss...>
Subject: hummingbird mortality
I am certain that 3 of the 4 hummingbirds (all Ruby-throateds) I've had in
my yard this winter died this weekend.

As of Saturday afternoon, I still had all 4 birds, and all seemed normal.

However, I saw only 2 birds Sunday. I was surprised how little I saw them
feeding.

Yesterday and today, I've seen only 1 bird. It seems quite feisty.

I don't live close to anyone who feeds hummers, and I never see my hummers
heading off elsewhere. I am certain that the 3 birds did indeed die. I've
looked for the bodies at sites where I guess the birds roost, but haven't
seen any so far.

Too bad the balmy weather that's moved in didn't move in about 36 hours
sooner!

During the several years I've had wintering hummers in my yard, starting in
the winter of 2002-2003, the birds have survived some very challenging
weather, some that was actually worse than the recent weather. I assume the
difference with this episode was its persistence.

I've heard of other hummingbird mortality in this county, but also about
some birds that have survived.

I hope others that host hummingbirds will relate their experiences.

John Fussell
Morehead City, NC

Join us on Facebook!