Date: 1/9/18 10:49 am
From: Adam Dudley <adam.dudley...> [peninsula-birding] <peninsula-birding-noreply...>
Subject: [pen-bird] wet bayside birding
Hi folks, the last couple of days have reminded me of birding back in the UK! I'll never complain about the rain..

Yesterday I headed out along the Bay Trail in South San Francisco to watch birds the ducks, grebes and geese that are "naturally waterproofed". At Oyster Point there was a CACKLING GOOSE among the main Canada Goose flock - it appeared to have a slightly injured right leg, and allowed extremely close views. So nice to see such a dainty goose close up. Nearby, among a separate, smaller flock of Canada's along Marina Boulevard was a GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GOOSE. This bird was right alongside the road and could be watched from the car without getting wet. Now that's winter birding California-style ;-)

This morning I visited Nob Hill pond where there were almost no duck on the pond at high tide. It seems that the birds are making good use of the new flooded habitat at Bair Island - most of the American Wigeon flocks were out in the marsh, and a EURASIAN WIGEON was present there at about 9am.

Good birding!

Adam

Join us on Facebook!