Date: 1/9/18 10:41 am
From: Brian Fitch <fogeggs...> [SFBirds] <SFBirds-noreply...>
Subject: [SFBirds] Lake Merced
I was hopeful for some heron and rail action after the 3+ inches of rain
yesterday, but nothing showed or called from those groups except
night-herons.

I spent time instead watching the swallow flock, as they spent the whole
morning hawking low over the lake. All of the birds present this morning
(25-30) were Barns, including a number of individuals showing short tails
and all white bellies. The exception to the rule was a single Violet-green
Swallow which showed only once.

Eight Great-tailed Grackles were along the concrete bridge, and in early
dawn, I saw a mid-sized owl take off from a perch on the snags in the lake
south of the bridge. Likely a Barn, but habitat made me wonder if a
Short-eared could be wintering. A single White-throated Sparrow was with
the zono flock near the parking lot at the Sunset Circle, and an Allen's
Hummer zinged by unseen.

The construction has begun on the entrance to Harding Park and the
boathouse, so birding there will be tougher than usual.
Brian Fitch

Join us on Facebook!