Date: 1/9/18 5:27 am
From: Ragupathy Kannan <0000013b0ad14faf-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Townsend's Solitaire!
Yesterday, the Townsend's Solitaire came out from a dense blanket of fog.  Its strange phip....phip....phip whistles first caught my attention.  It perched on a snag momentarily before darting into a fruit laden cedar tree right by Cabin 5 of Mt. Magazine State Park.  A nice lifer.  Despite the fog, saw the distinct white eye-ring and noted the rather un-thrush-like silhouette.
And it made me walk around for about 2 hours before showing up through the haze.  But I'm glad it delayed its appearance because I had good views of a Rufous-crowned Sparrow at the edge of the bluff amidst the hundreds of juncos that I kept flushing almost everywhere I went.  I kept walking back and forth, skirting the edge of bluff between the lodge and Cabin 11.  I also saw a Roadrunner through the window as I lunched at the lodge.
KannanFt. Smith

Join us on Facebook!