Date: 1/9/18 3:51 am
From: Nyjes <Nyjes...> [slocobirding] <slocobirding-noreply...>
Subject: Re: [slocobirding] Interesting raptor - Cuesta College flyover. 1/7
It will, as you say, remain a very interesting raptor that got away. But here's my two cents:
A buteo: perhaps dark morph Rough-Legged Hawk. Here's why: When overhead and headed away from us buteos exhibit slimmer, straighter more pointed wings than usual (as in the photos).
Why I think it's a Rough-Legged: when compared to a Ferruginous, a dark-morph rough-legged has extensive black tips on all primaries and secondaries and the photo (of course the angle taken and poor lighting could be fooling the camera) seems to indicate this.
Jeri Edwards