Date: 1/8/18 7:32 pm
From: Robert A. Behrstock, Naturewide Images <rbehrstock...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Whitewater Draw 8 January
Just a quick note about Whitewater, as the crane festival is rapidly approaching. I birded there today with clients during late morning. At noon, the cranes were still appearing by the hundreds from the north. There was a reasonable flock of Snow Geese (one dark morph), perhaps 50. No Ross's Geese were detected. A nice diversity of ducks, several Vermilion Flycs, Lark Buntings and a number of sparrows along the entrance roads. We saw a single Tree Swallow and one snipe. Of particular interest to me was the possibility of encountering the two Stilt Sandpipers reported several days ago by Tony Battiste. At 11:15, I noted nine Long-billed Dowitchers feeding near the north observation dike and east of the first viewing platform. At the edge of the dow flock were two Stilt Sandpipers. We observed these in my 'scope and shared them with other birders. The Stilt Sandpipers flew west to another pool. We caught up with them about 20 minutes later. While watching them, a flock of Least Sandpipers flew in along with one additional Stilt Sandpiper that started to feed in shallow water with the original two. During the last 14 years, have only seen Stilt Sandpipers as migrants in Cochse County, never during winter.

Best,
RAB

Bob Behrstock
Hereford, AZ