Date: 1/8/18 6:27 pm
From: Tami Vogel <tvogel...>
Subject: Re: [mou-net] Tufted Duck (Goodhue Co.)
Here are the USFWS regs that outline the different approved ways of marking "domestic" waterfowl and the associated record-keeping.

http://www.fws.gov/forms/3-200-9.pdf

My experience, through WRC, is many, many people dump their waterfowl after raising the birds and they don't follow the regs on marking the birds. Most people are completely unaware of the requirements because the feed stores/brokers don't tell them.

Something as unique as this probably isn't in that category, but thought I'd at least share the info and the link.

- Tami in Afton

On Jan 8, 2018 7:59 PM, Jason Frank <jmfrank84...> wrote:
As a birder who's also been raising ducks on and off since the late
90's, I can add my two cents to this saga. The Tufted Duck would be a
specialty item, likely acquired via auction. Also, anyone who owns
such a specimen would likely clip its wings. One isn't going to
purchase a Tufted Duck without recognizing its significance.

MN poultry enthusiasts generally order their chicks from these
hatcheries: Hoover (IA), Murray's, (IA), Welp (IA), Stromberg (MN).
None of these suppliers are currently offering Tufted Ducks. I, for
one, would never clip a claw from a bird to prove it's mine. I'd
imagine pretty much every hobbyist would feel the same way. If anyone
is keeping a Tufted Duck, they're keeping it as a pet. Farmers hurt
their animals. Pet-owners do not.

I'd lay 95% odds its a wild Tufted Duck.

Jason Frank
Lac qui Parle

--
Jason M. Frank
Founder and Vice President,

"The Universe does not have laws. It has habits. And habits can be broken."

-Dr. Wiggs Dannyboy

Sent from my invisible blue Homing Pigeon

----