Date: 1/8/18 4:40 pm
From: Jim Farley <jamesfarley...>
Subject: Jefferson County Ross Goose
Bill Telfair's report on Country Club Pond got me to get out and check Shannondale Lake out. I was up last Wednesday and a large section across from the old tennis courts was still open with an FOY Canvasback among 300 Mallards, Canada Geese and Ring-necked Ducks.
Today the same area was open although smaller, Most of the Mallards were gone but there were 100 Canada Geese, and 85 Ringed-necked ducks still there. Sitting on the ice was a white goose that when I scoped it was a Ross Goose. I had seen them in Louden County VA and Frederick MD over the past several years..... FINALLY got one in WV!!!
Also saw 2 American Coots including one out of the water walking on the ice.

The Shenandoah had dozens of Common and Hooded Mergansers and the "S" Curve had 2 Male Red-Breasted Mergansers.
Looking out on Potomac off Bakerton Road there are now 12 Golden-eyes and a solo male Pintail mixed in with 40 Common Mergansers and 25 Black Ducks, 12 Mallards and 75 Canada Geese.

Good Birding!
Jim Farley
Jefferson County

Join us on Facebook!