Date: 1/8/18 2:46 pm
From: David Barber <dbarber71...>
Subject: [obol] Re: how to get a tripod to your destination
We just returned from an extended trip to Australia, New Zealand, Fiji, and Hawaii. We were on 17 different planes over the course of the trip. I carried my tripod in its own bag which is 26 inches long and has a diameter of 5 inches. No one ever questioned it as a carryon even though it is longer than acceptable. We were even subjected to extended security inspections at the gate on a couple of occasions. I did nothing to hide the fact that I was carrying this particular bag.

I guess that its small diameter made it inconspicuous and/or acceptable. If anyone ever had questioned it, I would have pointed out that it easily fits in the back of the overhead bin without really taking up any space that precludes another bag occupying the same space.

Another point is that it is really not much different from carrying a cane on board. They are longer than the acceptable size, but never questioned.

David Barber

From: Mary Garrard <springazure1...>
Date: 1/7/2018 10:04 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: <obol...>
Subject: [obol] how to get a tripod to your destination

Hi everyone, I’m have a dilemma: we want to carry-on our luggage for a short trip to Belize including a spotting scope and tripod. However, we discovered the tripod doesn’t fit into regulation carry-on luggage. One of us has a hard-sided regulation carry-on, I have a soft travel pack that is over regulation size but squashable to regulation size.

How do all of you traveling birders get your tripod to your destination? We want to avoid checking it in case it doesn’t arrive and also to avoid having to wait at the carousel.

Thanks for your input!

MaryPOST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!