Date: 1/8/18 1:10 pm
From: Nancy Obryan <nancy.obryan...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] Gray Hawk 1 1/2 miles north of Sweetwater Wetlands, Tucson
After birding at Sweetwater this morning, I went for a short bicycle ride, cycling north on the Santa Cruz River Loop. On the way back (12:57 p.m.--when I was just north of the Tucson Loop Bicycle Shop), I heard a loud descending call. I searched for the bird for a minute or so and had almost given up finding it, when I saw a GRAY HAWK fly from one tree to another as it called (gray body and distinctive black-and-white banded tail showing). I saw it perched briefly before it flew farther into the trees. I also saw two Red-Tailed Hawks nearby.

I know that Gray Hawks are not supposed to be in Arizona at this time of year, but I made a positive ID by both eye and ear. Unfortunately, there was not enough time to try to get a photo with my cell phone.