Date: 1/8/18 12:49 pm
Subject: The Beaverdam Reservoir, NC, waterfowl spectacle
I spent about an hour on my own at the southern end of Beaverdam Reservoir
at the NC 50 Boat Ramp access area, in Wake County. Previous posts and
eBird reports have indicated many, many hundreds of waterfowl here,
including a few Common Goldeneyes and Common Mergansers. After my hour (930
to about 1030), as I was leaving Ed Corey arrived, so I went back to the
picnic tables with him to resurvey the birds. Yes, the drake Common
Goldeneye and drake Common Merganser were still there, along with a few
females of each species. After our time there, we tallied up with Ed
entering things on eBird, right then and there. Here are our totals, from
his eBird report:

Canada Goose 8
Mallard 45
Canvasback 1 male
Greater Scaup 10 males and females
Lesser Scaup 10
Bufflehead 35
Common Goldeneye 2 Drake and hen, continuing
Hooded Merganser 1000 obviously an estimate
Common Merganser 5 Drake and 4 hens, continuing
Pied-billed Grebe 10
Double-crested Cormorant 8
Great Blue Heron 3
Ring-billed Gull 25
Herring Gull 2

AS the temperatures reached about 47 degrees this afternoon, it is likely
that some or many of the birds will disperse to newly opened waters at
Falls Lake or elsewhere. So -- good luck in future days, and don't expect
as many birds or as concentrated into a small area like they were this
morning.

I did stop by a few areas at Falls Lake. There were small open areas east
and west of Cheek Road bridge, but all I had as a few Hooded Mergansers,
Buffleheads, and DC Cormorants, and one Pied-billed Grebe from the bridge.
There seemed to be NO open water from Rolling View, either the east side or
the west side. However, by tomorrow there should be open water areas
visible from Rolling View.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

Join us on Facebook!