Date: 1/8/18 12:26 pm
From: Marcia Lincoln <boahiss...>
Subject: RE: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Las Cienegas LAPLAND LONGSPUR continues today
In the west, the natural water catchments, formed by solid rock and usually
in a rocky canyon, are called tanks. They were used as water sources by the
settlers of the American west and probably now also by immigrants attempting
to cross the desert. Some of them hold water for a long time as they are in
a canyon and shaded by cliffs or other rock structures around them. And may
be the only water source for miles around. The bigger ones have been given
names and are popular hiking destinations. I have a friend who loved to hike
and try to find the tanks in remote areas like Cabeza Prieta. I have never
heard the term used for a simple muddy pond, only for man-made metal cattle
tanks.

Marcia (Tucson, AZ)

_____