Date: 1/8/18 11:45 am
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Chicago Botanic Garden (Local Interest Only) Monday 1-8-18
Hello Bird People,

After yesterday's chase for the rare gull it was back to low key local
birding at the Botanic Garden.
Only had 16 species & only 1 (the Gadwall) was new for the year.
Redpoll numbers remain high but none are Hoarys that I could see. In
fact it's been quite a while since the very white Hoary has been seen
here. Except for 3 species flying by all the birds seen today were at
only 2 places & so I'll list them by those 2 locations.

Chicago Botanic Garden (9-11:15 a.m.)

Open Water Area By The Bridge Over Dundee Rd

Canada Goose (70 & a few more flying by)
Mallard (210, quite the gathering)
GADWALL (1-M)
Common Merganser (1-F)
Winter Coot (1, continuing)
(No sign of the Great Blue Heron today)

Flying By Overhead

Herring Gull (2), Rock Pigeon (1) & Mourning Dove (1)

Birds Feeding In The Alders, Birches & Conifers Close To The Main Buildings

Blue Jay (heard 1)
Chickadee (3-4)
RED BREASTED NUTHATCH (2 together)
Cardinal (1-M & 1-PR)
COMMON REDPOLL (64)
Pine Siskin (8-9)
Goldfinch (1 & only 1)
House Sparrow (5)

Bird-Of-The-Day to the male Gadwall with the nice feather patterns &
Runner-Up to the 2 Red Breasted Nuthatches as I have had a hard time
finding them recently.

No interesting license plates today but License Plate Of The Day for
Sat 1-6-18 goes to one from
Morales, Mexico which was a "lifer plate" for me but I had not
mentioned it then.

Al Stokie
Enjoying the warmer weather in the County Of Cook today

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: