Date: 1/8/18 11:10 am
From: Al Eisner <eisner...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Almaden to Calero, Jan. 7
Some Sunday birding, starting at Almaden Lake. First, thanks to
Dave Zittin for pointing out the RED-NAPED SAPSUCKER quietly at work
in its usual grove; it provided a nice view. Nothing of note was
seen on the lake. Next, on to Guadalupe Oaks Park, where the
male PHAINOPEPLA was in view (atop its most regular oak) as soon as
I entered the Vargas gate. Some presumed mating behavior by a pair
of NUTTALL'S WOODPECKERS: one stationary on an oak branch, the other
flying back and forth past it, peering at the first each time it landed.
No luck with the Chipping Sparrows at TJ Martin, but there were
numerous dogs, some running free. My last stop was at the Calero
Reservoir boat launch: I had only 10 COMMON MERGANSERs, with no
sight from that vantage point of the large flock Brooke mentioned
a few days ago. But I did have two nice view of adult BALD EAGLE
(not sure whether one or two birds, since the first individual had
left its perch, across the water well to the right, before I noted
one on the ground all the way to the left). A nice day, ahead of
today's much-needed rain.

Al Eisner

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional