Date: 1/8/18 11:06 am
From: Amy S <als466...>
Subject: [obol] Re: how to get a tripod to your destination
I had the same problem when traveling to Israel this past fall for the Hula
Valley Bird Festival. I only travel with carry-on, like a good vulture. I
googled travel tripods and came up with a few good possibilities.
Unfortunately, I didn't choose a good one. Here's what I ended up
with: Manfrotto
BeFree Aluminum Travel Tripod
<https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1297587-REG/manfrotto_mkbfra4gy_bh_befree_tripod_with_ball.html>
.
It's minimum height is 13.4" without the head and would fit into my carry
on bag. I changed the head to this Manfrotto fluid video head
<https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/944774-REG/manfrotto_mvh500ah_pro_fluid_head.html>
.

A few notes to make it all work and some buyers remorse:

- I kept the head and handle detached from the tripod until I got to my
destination. I also removed the eyepiece from my scope and kept that
separate and wrapped in socks for cushioning and to fit better.

- This particular head is rather large and I don't recommend it for
traveling. I didn't see it before I bought it, which was a mistake, because
it was highly recommended by a birder in England who seemed to know the
issues with birding tripod heads. Try before you buy. I like my older
Manfrotto fluid head (20 yrs old, don't know what kind it is).

- The tripod was a little spindly and the legs can fold up and down,
which I wasn't used to. My scope fell over a few times in a high wind
because they weren't locked from going in the up position. Very weird. Most
tripods are not like this. It has a hook to hang a weight to keep it
stable, which I used a few times, but it wasn't always convenient to have
my backpack or some other weight with me.

Sharing this here because I'm a big believer in writing up bad experimental
results as well as good. Another travel tripod I found during my search was
the MeFoto tripod (several models)
<http://www.mefoto.com/products/globetrotter-classic.aspx?CAWELAID=120288260000000018&CATARGETID=120288260000000192&cadevice=c&gclid=Cj0KCQiAyszSBRDJARIsAHAqQ4qB2Sqr2BXn_4KndnOjwj5xiHPKLWfa3DoeOC9WH91pIVmj4paZCXIaAqmREALw_wcB>.
Be careful because some of these may have a head that is integrated and not
changeable. It's hard to tell, but I think most are changeable if you know
how.

Good luck and have fun in Belize!
Amy Summerfelt