Date: 1/8/18 10:35 am
From: Nicole Pool Hutcheson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Algonkian Regional Park - White-winged scoter, long-tailed duck and more
Someone reported on a Facebook page yesterday that a white-winged scoter and long-tailed duck was present at Algonkian in Sterling, VA. I had no problem locating these this morning at 9:00am, along with a rather large mixed flock of redheads, scaup, bufflehead, a goldeneye, a ruddy duck, mergansers. Geese were the strongest showing. The large mixed flock was down by the large covered picnic pavilion. When I was ready to depart at 11:30, the goldeneye, ruddy and geese were gone, but most others remained, including the scoter and long-tailed. Many other species seen in large numbers at the park, but these are the more rare. --Nicole