Date: 1/8/18 9:42 am
From: trose <trose...>
Subject: Re: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Las Cienegas LAPLAND LONGSPUR continues today
The problem with locating the Longspur hotspot may be simply that there
was already an existing hotspot for Davis Pasture, but located a short
ways farther north along the two-track going in, and not at the tank
itself. The new Longspur hotspot is indeed at the tank, but when one
looks for a Davis Pasture hotspot in eBird, the previous hotspot also
shows up. Betsy may have simply been going by that hotspot for her
location on her phone. (Do we still need two hotspots there now? Or
should they be combined? I only ask because I noticed some of the
previous eBird lists at the "old" hotspot, going back several years, do
include sightings from the tank itself.)

Either way, this sure ends up being a fortuitously timely conversation
for me, because a short bit before I left for a holiday vacation to
Texas last month, I had taken a trip to Las Cienegas (not entered on
eBird yet) and had actually driven to the entrance to Davis Pasture for
the first time, in hopes of seeing Longspurs of some sort. Not being
familiar with protocol at this site at all, since I'd never been there
before, I was disappointed when I saw a gate - and so turned around and
left to go home. Darn. Guess I will have to try again! :-P

Tonya Holland
Three Points AZ