Date: 1/8/18 9:25 am
From: Anant Deshwal <adeshwal...>
Subject: Update on Red Crossbills
Did I ever say that Red Crossbills never cease to surprise me, well they never do! I got the report back from Matt Young from Cornell, regarding all the recordings we had been doing in Ninestone, ONSC and Hobbs State Park and the results just blew my mind away.
We have first state record for Type 4 Red Crossbills ever. Wooohooo!!! That makes it two first state records for Red Crossbills Type 1 and Type 4. Type 1 are the Appalachian Red Crossbills that have medium sized bill and Type 4 are the Douglas-fir Crossbills that have medium sized bills too. The Appalachian Crossbills are primarily from Appalachian mountains and Type 4 (Douglas fir Crossbills) are from Pacific Northwest.
With these records Arkansas now has Type 1 to Type 5 (Not observed in this irruption but in 2012-13 irruption) Red Crossbills.
Breakdown of Crossbill Type and locations:
Ninestone has Type 2 Crossbills, Ponderosa Pine Crossbills they have large bill.
ONSC has both Type 2 and Type 3 Crossbills. Type 3 are Western Hemlock Crossbills, they have small bills.
Hobbs State Park- Conservation Area at Visitor Center there are Type 2 and Type 4.
Hobbs State Park- Conservation Area at Ozark Plateau Trail there are Type 2.
Shores Lake there are Type 1.

The search and adventure in exploration of the mystery called Crossbills continues, stay tuned for more juicy updates.

Regards
Anant Deshwal
Ph.D. Candidate
Department of Biological Sciences