Date: 1/8/18 9:18 am
From: Anthony Hewetson <fattonybirds...>
Subject: [texbirds] Fall Hummingbirds at One Lubbock Yard
Greetings All:
It has been a busy winter, so far, so it took me a while to get around to
writing up this project. Fall is the best period, in my region, for
migrant hummingbirds and I made an effort (relying on plumage features and
attendance gaps) to get a fairly accurate accounting of the hummingbirds
visiting my yard from early August through the end of the season. My yard
has two feeders in the frontyard six feeders in the backyard, and well over
50 plants that are hummingbird-friendly (red salvia, lantana, turk's-cap,
and various wildflowers).

This was actually a very poor fall for hummingbirds in my yard and it came
to a surprisingly early finish. I usually have individuals of at least two
species (Black-chinned Hummingbird and Rufous Hummingbird) attempt to
overwinter. Birds are only listed if I was absolutely sure that they were
new (based on plumage characteristics) so there may have been some
undercounting but there was no overcounting.

Black-chinned Hummingbird (after my two breeding assemblages departed):
1 immature male on 8/6/17
1 immature male on 8/11/17
1 immature male on 8/13/17
1 immature male from 8/15/17-8/16/17
1 immature male from 8/21/17-9/2/17
1 immature male from 9/17/17-10/2/17
1 immature female and 2 immature males on 10/3/17
1 immature male from 10/4/17-10/10/17
1 immature male from 10/13/17-10/14/17

Ruby-throated Hummingbird:
1 adult female on 10/5/17
1 adult female on 10/10/17

Broad-tailed Hummingbird:
1 adult female from 8/5/17-8/6/17

Rufous Hummingbird:
1 adult male on 8/6/17
1 adult female on 8/23/17
1 immature male on 10/1/17
1 immature female from 10/7/17-10/8/17
1 immature male from 10/13/17-10/14/17

Calliope Hummingbird:
1 adult female from 9/17/17-9/18/17
1 immature female from 10/3/17-10/4/17

Of particular interest: 1) a very early departure of breeding birds and
their progeny from my yard - I usually have females into late August and
immature into late October - this year there was an actual gap between the
departure of my breeding assemblages towards the end of July and my first
migrants 2) a lengthy gap, from 9/3/17-9/16/17, with no hummingbirds
-despite spectacular feeding conditions in the yard; the lengthiest period
of no hummingbirds I have ever had during fall and 3) no hummingbird beyond
10/14/17; the earliest full departure of the taxa from my yard that I can
recall.

Anthony 'Fat Tony' Hewetson

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds

from the List Owner