Date: 1/8/18 8:52 am
From: 'David Povey' <dpovey...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Western Grebe chicks, Green-tailed Towhees L. Otay Gulls, 1-07-17
I stopped by Lower Otay Lake on the way home yesterday afternoon. Proof that
Western Grebes breed here most of the year were two adult Western Grebes
with rather large- ish downy chicks. I'd guess they are likely a couple of
weeks old, but still one was able to ride the back of an adults. The other
chick swimming along side. I did see a pair Western Grebes "dancing " in
another part of the lake back in late November, 2017.

Not a lot of gulls yesterday, maybe 600-700. On Saturday there had to be
easily 10 times that number, but too far out on the lake to be of much use
even with a scope.

Yesterday the floating dock separated from the rental boat dock had 17
Herring Gulls, a first cycle Iceland (Thayer's)Gull, and a first cycle
Glaucous-winged Gull. The rest of the gulls were about 3/4 California, 1/3
Western Gull.

In the morning I stopped at some spots around the Tijuana River Valley, and
saw the two previous and often reported Green-tailed Towhees at the
northeast corner of the "New" Stick Pond,. These guys are very confiding
even being out in the more or less open even with a menacing Cooper's Hawk
staring down at them from one of the few remaining live willows.

The long term male Vermillion Flycatcher at Sunset ball fields.

Missed the Red-throated Pipit (seen twice previously), and Dusky-capped
Flycatcher ( now missed on all four attempts) near Berry Park.

Dave Povey

Dulzura

Join us on Facebook!