Date: 1/8/18 7:15 am
From: Barbara via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Eagles at Mason Neck / Occoquan Bay NWR
     Despite much of the Potomac River and Belmont Bay being frozen in Fairfaxand Prince William counties, I counted 12 adult and juvenile eagles on the ice 1/7/18 on Belmont Bay between Mason Neck State Park and OccoquanBay National Wildlife Refuge.  (I also saw two mute (?) swans.)     It's a great time to visit OBNWR before the eagles return to their nest on the Charlie Road trail because that's when Fish & Wildlife closes that trail. I was told that due to cutbacks, they will NOT mow a trail this year to detour around that closure.My private pix (temporarily) here: https://www.flickr.com/gp/olympusbjs/Bb840KOBNWR: https://www.fws.gov/uploadedFiles/Occoquangenmap.pdf#aMason Neck: http://www.dcr.virginia.gov/state-parks/mason-neck#general_information