Date: 1/8/18 4:56 am
Subject: hummer survivors and foundation woodcock
Our yard/farm is within a mile of Lake Mattamuskeet. Going into the deep
freeze we had about 20 ruby-throateds and one yellow-throated warbler at
our hummer feeders. Two hummers and the warbler made it - hope life gets
easier for them at this point.

We normally see scattered woodcock in the woods and fields near the lake as
John and Clyde have mentioned - still seeing some on our daily strolls -
but seeing many many more all around our yard - anywhere the ground is
exposed (counted 22 on one yard walkabout yesterday). Several woodcock have
roosted next to our house foundation during the past few nights. Killdeer
have been feeding next to our equipment sheds where the sun reflects off
the metal siding - nice micro-climate there.

Bird chatter is much louder this morning - 16 must feel like spring after
the 3-5 degree mornings.

Kelly Davis

Join us on Facebook!