Date: 1/7/18 10:16 pm
From: 'Phil Unitt' <unitt...> [SanDiegoRegionBirding] <SanDiegoRegionBirding-noreply...>
Subject: [SanDiegoRegionBirding] Tricolored Heron; White-breasted Nuthatches; Downy Woodpecker
Dear friends,

I haven’t seen the Tricolored Heron mentioned on this list for a few weeks, though a check of www.ebird.org <http://www.ebird.org> revealed it is being observed in the San Diego River flood-control channel or at Famosa Slough regularly. I saw it today 7 January 2018 along the south side of the flood-control channel near its west end.

Also today, after yesterday seeing the White-breasted Nuthatch in the magnolia grove on the west side of Balboa Park (along with at least 2 Bullock’s Orioles and at least 2 Western Tanagers), I saw another White-breasted Nuthatch and heard a second individual in what is variously called Pioneer Park, Pioneer Memorial Park, or Mission Hills Park in Mission Hills (the former Calvary Cemetery, from which in 1969 the city of San Diego removed the gravestones—many commemorating persons notable in early San Diego history—and dumped them in a canyon in Mount Hope Cemetery—a dubious way to observe the city’s 200th anniversary). In any case, I wonder if the White-breasted Nuthatch is on its way to becoming our next urban adapter.

I don’t often see the Downy Woodpecker in Balboa Park. Yesterday, just west of Hwy. 163 and north of El Prado, one female was associating with a male Nuttall’s Woodpecker—so be aware of the possibility of hybrids in the park later this spring.

Good birding,

Philip Unitt

San Diego

Join us on Facebook!