Date: 1/7/18 10:18 pm
From: Noah Strycker <noah.strycker...>
Subject: [obol] Lincoln Co. goodies 1/7 (Ruff, B+W Warb, etc)
Hi birders,

I spent a fun day in Lincoln County, partly thanks to others staking out a
few rarities!

Three ANCIENT MURRELETS were floating just past the breakers at Boiler Bay
early this morning, though seawatching was slow. The only tubenose I saw
there was a distant SOOTY/SHORT-TAILED SHEARWATER.

The confiding LAPLAND LONGSPUR continues along the base of the north jetty
at Newport, and a GLAUCOUS GULL was loafing under the north end of the
bridge. Photos of both are here
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41735559>.

A LONG-TAILED DUCK was between the jetties, and two HARLEQUIN DUCKS were
inside the south jetty. A pair of BLACK SCOTERS was in Yachats.

I relocated Jeannie Bray's BLACK-AND-WHITE WARBLER inside Ona Beach State
Park around midday. It was with a flock of Chestnut-backed Chickadees,
creepers, and kinglets in the trees surrounding the restroom (on the west
side of Hwy 101, just west of the parking area). A couple photos are here
<http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41735563>.

Then, at 1:45, I re-found Evan Hayduk's RUFF in the spot where he
originally discovered it on January 2nd, along Bayview Road on the north
side of Alsea Bay, next to the junction with Hays Road. Also there were 23
GREATER YELLOWLEGS, a male EURASIAN WIGEON, and a SWAMP SPARROW in the
marsh just across the road. Some photos of the Ruff and Swamp Sparrow are
here <http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S41735566>.

Good birding -

Noah Strycker

Join us on Facebook!