Date: 1/7/18 7:27 pm
From: PAM CHRIS <pcscranton...>
Subject: [COBOL] Deschuttes River from trout Creek
Pam and I hiked about four miles on the Deschutes starting at Trout Creek Camp Ground. On the way there we saw 25 retailed hawks, three kestrels, a merlin and a cooper’s hawk on Clark Drive. It was very quiet along the river with cloudy skies. We saw the following:

Pacific Wren - 1
Canyon Wren - 2
Townsend’s Solitaire - 10
Barrow’s Goldeneye - 12
Common Goldeneye - 2
Song Sparrow - 2
American Robins - 10
Great Blue Heron - 1
Black-billed Magpie - 2

As we hiked back to the trailhead we met two climbers who had been climbing on the east side of the river on the palisades rim where a golden eagle nest has been active in past years. This area is closed from January 15 until August. They showed us a picture of a bird that they had seen and wanted us to identify it. They then showed us a clear photo of a chuckar. I have been asked if I have detected chukars in this area and it has been quite a few years since I have seen or heard them but here was proof that they are present.
Chris Scranton