Date: 1/7/18 7:24 pm
From: Ken Wills <Memontei...> [albirds] <albirds-noreply...>
Subject: [ALBIRDS] A Duck Bonanza At Guntersville

Hello all,

After my usual 6 month break from serious birdwatching, I decided to jump start the new year by heading to the Tennessee Valley. Based on recent reports, I was debating which direction to head, but since I am heading to Wheeler next weekend for the Crane Festival, I decided to go to Guntersville this afternoon. The weather was cold and cloudy, but there was no wind which made the viewing very comfortable. I was amazed by the greater than normal variety of ducks today. Between Upper Spring Creek and Browns Creek, I saw every locally common species of duck except Green Winged Teal. Wild mallards and other puddle ducks (including at least two Black Ducks) were more abundant that I have ever seen then on Guntersville, and I have never seen Pintails at Guntersville until today. Surprisingly, I only saw four Buffleheads in one little flock, but I saw a larger number of Canvasback and Redheads than normal. I did not see the Long tailed Duck or White Winged Scoter that Greg Jackson saw off of Highway 227, but I did see a Scoter from the Sunset Drive parking lot that has a bathroom and which is south of the Causeway. The Scoter did not seem to completely match any of the drawings from Sibley phone app, but it appeared to be a female Surf Scoter. Also, the Lesser Black Backed Gull reported yesterday by Greg Jackson was still on the ice south of the 431 crossing of Spring Creek.

We had almost forgot what is was like to have a cold winter, and hopefully this is just the start of what may be a very good winter for birding.

Enjoy and Conserve the Creation,
Ken Wills

For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life,---Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them.
Mathew 6:25-26

Join us on Facebook!