Date: 1/7/18 7:12 pm
From: Clyde Sorenson <sorenson...>
Subject: Re: Woodcock moving to the coast during winter storms
Like John, I spent part of many winters in the late 70's and early banding
woodcock around Lake Mattamuskeet- on some nights, we would band north of
50. (This activity may be the single most fun thing I have ever done in my
life, by the way.) I've also spent some time wandering the woods around the
Lake (private land) hunting them. I am in the "They are largely already
there and just moving to exposed areas to emergency forage" camp. There are
huge numbers in the right kinds of woods (lots of cane, especially). I
remember a vicious cold snap in the early eighties that drove the birds
around the lake out of the woods and on to the road verges around the lake-
many got killed by the very light vehicular traffic in the area. I'm most
surprised by those showing up on the banks- but there may be a fair amount
of suitable habitat (for normal times) not that far away as the bogsucker
flies.

It amazes me how small a "covert" can be for these remarkable and dear
birds- When I was a teenager in Albemarle, NC, I found one in a tiny tangle
about 40X50 feet in my neighbor's suburban yard, and it returned for at
least three years. The draw in that case was the huge earthworm population
in that little patch of ground- my neighbor dumped all the leaves he raked
there every year, and the annelids really, really appreciated the extra
mulch.

Clyde Sorenson
Clayton and Raleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!