Date: 1/7/18 6:57 pm
From: justin streit <000000260acb25c4-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Red-throated Loon, 8.0 Mile Road, Lake Mead NRA, Clark County
Following up on Daniel Mitev's ebird report about a Red-throated Loon at Lake Mead, I was able to relocate the bird early this afternoon in the largest bay immediately east of Government Wash. The bird was first out in very deep water at the mouth of the bay (Daniel thought that this bird was seen several days earlier from Sunset Overlook across the bay), but it eventually moved in fairly close offshore. This area is accessed off of 8.0 Mile Road, which is the next lake access road east of Government Wash Road. After turning onto 8.0 Mile Road, you'll drive for several miles, generally taking the left fork where the road splits. The road can be driven in a two-wheel drive vehicle, but it is rather rough and is best tackled with a relatively high-clearance vehicle. Aside from the loon, I didn't see much else exciting. I searched this whole peninsula for some time looking for the Yellow-billed Loon to no avail. If you're vehicle can make it, there are several access points to view different parts of the upper Las Vegas Bay from this peninsula. Photos of the Red-throated Loon can be seen on my ebird checklist:

Justin Streit
Las Vegas, NV

Join us on Facebook!