Date: 1/7/18 5:55 pm
From: G & J Fenton Friesen <friesen.fenton...>
Subject: SG County; Lafarge and Twin Lakes
I ran down to Twin Lakes and Larfarge Sandpits this AM to see waterfowl and
was not disappointed. Twin Lakes held about 5 species of ducks with
cormorants and geese thrown in. Lafarge had massive number of geese and
Mallards and with work good numbers of other ducks. I had 12 species total
with not a lot of time to look. Ruddy Ducks in the 80's prompted an ebird
challenge but there were there. Large numbers also of Common Mergansers,
Common Goldeneye and a good showing of Hooded Mergansers (also Canvasback,
Greater Scaup, Lesser Scaup, Ring-necked Duck, Northern Shoveler, Northern
Pintail, and a lone Gadwall. Coots, Pied-billed Grebe, Great Blue Heron
and DC Cormorants rounded things out.

A few more comments: Seems odd that this year I have seen a Snowy Owl but
struggle to drum up a Great Horned Owl or Eastern Screech-owl. I have had
the large influx of American Goldfinches at my feeder which is a bit early
than normal for the large crowd of them. Saturday I did three outings in
Harvey County and had Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at all and a Pileated
Woodpecker at HV County west park but could not drum up a Hairy Woodpecker
for anything.

Gregg
friesen . fenton @ gmail . com

--