Date: 1/7/18 5:29 pm
From: Jeff Calhoun <jeffcalhoun11...>
Subject: Syracuse and Jetmore CBCs
The local western KS CBCs that were conducted this season were Syracuse and
Jetmore and I thought I should mention a few of the highlights.

The Syracuse CBC (Hamilton Co) was conducted on January 2 and located 66
species. The best was the reported Bohemian Waxing in the town of Syracuse.
Also noteworthy was a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker, large numbers of
Yellow-rumped Warblers, Red Crossbills, 2 Scaled Quail, and 4 Common Ravens
(plus 2 just out of the circle). Two of the Ravens appeared to have a nest
on a large antenna structure. This is a neat count for sure!

The Jetmore CBC (Hodgeman Co) was conducted on January 6 and found 72
species, with one party still to report. The best bird here was the
American Pipit at Buckner Valley Park. Also noteworthy was a Snowy Owl,
several Rusty Blackbirds, several Ferruginous Hawks, 7 Red Crossbills, 30+
Lesser Prairie-Chickens, and various waterfowl species. This, also, is a
really great count and I think all 5 counters share that sentiment.
Especially if you like counting Longspurs!

All in all, I had a really great CBC season with many memories! Here’s to a
continued great year of nature adventures!

Jeff Calhoun
Dodge City, KS

https://listserv.ksu.edu/ksbird-l.html
For KSBIRD-L guidelines go to