Date: 1/7/18 5:02 pm
From: Pete Sole <pete...>
Subject: [MBBIRDS] Black-headed Grosbeak on the feeder
Hi birders,

I happened to glance at our feeders and immediately recognized a
BLACK-HEADED GROSBEAK.

I took a few, ah, let's be charitable and call them "documentary" images:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/grosbeak_black_headed_180107a.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/grosbeak_black_headed_180107b.jpg

I wonder if it was the same bird that visited our yard on Dec. 17th, the
day after the SC CBC.

Images from 12/17/2017:

http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/grosbeak_black_headed_171217b.jpg
http://www.lighthousenet.com/photos/birds/documentary/grosbeak_black_headed_171217a.jpg

Gotta say, this is the earliest Black-headed Grosbeak we've ever had in
the yard. Given the similarities between the images, and the lack of
other Black-headed Grosbeak reports, my guess is that it is the same
wintering? bird.

Now nervously checking the feeders every few minutes...  ;)

Pete Sole'
Soquel, CA