Date: 1/7/18 4:33 pm
From: EUGENE YOUNG <EUGENE.YOUNG...>
Subject: Re: Snowy Owls
Paul,

Can you send pics of the Snowyís seen this yr to me and Chuck Otte...we are trying to age and sex as many as we can. Thus far, Iíve not seen anything but young birds, the oldest being probably 2-3 yrs old. The problem, which is a good problem, few pics are birds in flight showing tail and back, so folks arenít chasing.

Adult here is ambiguous, because I suspect both males and females get brighter (more white) with age, for however long they live...but breeding probably occurs prior to their ďadult plumageĒ being reached. Males are likely the only ones to be pure white, females usually retain markings.

Gene

Gene Young
Ark City, KS
NOC, OK