Date: 1/7/18 4:16 pm
From: Ronald- Thorn <Tronthorn...> [CALBIRDS] <CALBIRDS-noreply...>
Subject: Fwd: [CALBIRDS] Barn Swallows - what is going on?

Yesterday ( Jan. 6 ) Leonie Batkin and I were scanning the ocean at Pescadero Beach in San Mateo County. Low over the beach,
I spotted northbound Barn Swallows. Okay, I have come to expect from ( 1-3 ) northbound Barn Swallows from late December into
January every year since this phenomenon started. What we were shocked to see yesterday was a group of ( 35 ) Barn Swallows!
The Barn Swallows were moving at a fast clip. The first ones I did get on appeared not to be in breeding plumage. The ( 35 ) Barn
Swallows would be an unprecedented number for this time of the year in San Mateo County!

Ron Thorn and Leonie Batkin
Redwood City