Date: 1/7/18 3:49 pm
From: Stephen Johnson via va-bird <va-bird...>
Subject: [Va-bird] a very cold Great Blue Heron (Arlington)

Hello birders,

Today Lynn and I observed a Great Blue Heron persevering in this challenging weather. The air temp had risen to around 20 deg F, and a light breeze had started up, at 3 PM today.

The scene picture here shows the challenge for this bird - find fish in a side stream near the Potomac in Arlington, essentially completely frozen over. It was standing in a narrow open section, probably from a runoff pipe.

The Potomac itself was also completely covered with ice. Earlier today I visited 3 of the larger lakes in Reston (Fairfax County). They were also mostly covered, just two of them with small remaining open sections. The greatest waterfowl diversity was at Lake Thoreau, with 4 normal duck spp and Coot.

Stay warm folks!!
-- -- Steve Johnson and Lynn Rafferty
Fairfax, Virginia