Date: 1/7/18 3:34 pm
From: Rennie Talbert <renniett...>
Subject: Saturday's Ohio River Birding
Amy and I have been since for over a week, but we've been dying to get out and see what kind of waterfowl was around.

We started at Harris Riverfront Park in Huntington, where we met Randy Urian, then joined him again at Guyandotte boat ramp, before going by ourselves up Route 2.

Harris Riverfront

(2) Hooded Mergansers
(6) Common Goldeneye
(20+) Ring-billed Gulls
(8) Scaup (I feel most were greater, but there could have been a couple of lesser
(100+) Canada Goose
(1) DC Cormorant

Guyandotte boat launch: birds of note

(3) Bufflehead
(1) Common Goldeneye

Going up route 2, between Guyandotte and the YMCA Kennedy center, we saw a large raft of waterfowl sitting on the ice in the river. Most were canada geese, but 3 snow geese took of from the group, with 1 of them being a blue goose.

At Ashton, we saw a flock of (18) DC Cormaorants flying in a v. That was something we had never seen before. We also saw a Male Northern Harrier flying over the field, trying to scare up dinner.

At Robert C Byrd Locks and Dam we saw our biggest amount of birds, although when we first went over the hill, we only noticed cormorants and rb gulls.

(200) Ring-billed gulls
(1) Great Blue Heron
over 40) Common Merganser
(2) Long-tailed ducks (both female)
(1) Common Goldeneye
(5) Hooded Merganser
(4) Red-breasted merganser (These were away from the rest of the ducks, at the end of the road, near the storage tanks at the edge of the river.

We got all three mergansers at this location.

We also went along 817 south, but didn't see anything of note. We then crossed the river to head home.

At the RCB locks, we stopped again. The gulls were feeding on the shad in the river, and all of the ducks were along the West Virginia shore of the river below the dam. The water above the locks were mostly iced over, but near the island, we could see some waterfowl sitting on the ice. We also saw two adult bald eagles sitting in a tree on the Ohio side of the river.

Rennie Talbert
Barboursville, wv

Join us on Facebook!