Date: 1/7/18 3:30 pm
Subject: Falls Lake waterfowl, 1/7/18
Hi everyone,
I spent this evening scoping the waterfowl at Falls Lake. I expected to spend all my time at Rollingview, but to my surprise almost the entire lake was frozen in front of the RV swim beach, outside of a few small pockets and the area on the other side of the lake in front of Sandling Beach. Best birds here were 12 Red-breasted Mergansers and a male Green-winged Teal (both in front of Sandling). I then went over to Hwy 50 to scope the Beaverdam Reservoir. The two best birds were Common Goldeneye and Common Mergansers. The continuing female Goldeneye was not difficult to spot, it was in the section of open water closest to the point I was standing though it was moving around a bit. To my surprise I later spotted a nice male Goldeneye that had joined the female; the two then stuck together for the remainder of the time I was there. With regards to Common Mergansers, there are now 6 on the lake, including 1 lovely male (reported earlier by Rick Payne). Lots of other nice ducks present, including several Redhead, a Canvasback, and both Scaup species. Ducks were continuing to stream in (mostly Hoodies) when I left at 5:40.
Below is the list of species I had. A * indicates birds seen from Rollingview; the rest were from Beaverdam.
Gadwall    4Mallard    70American Black Duck    3Green-winged Teal    1*, 2Canvasback    1Redhead    3Greater Scaup    6Lesser Scaup    8Bufflehead    1*, 24Common Goldeneye    2    male and femaleHooded Merganser    900 estimateRed-breasted Merganser    12*Common Merganser    6    one malePied-billed Grebe    27*, 2Bonaparte's Gull    32Ring-billed Gull    70Herring Gull    11
Cheers,Kyle KittelbergerRaleigh, NC

Join us on Facebook!