Date: 1/7/18 3:07 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Searching For The Slaty Backed Gull Sunday 1-7-18
Hello Bird People,

Matthew Cv has already posted on IBET that the Slaty Backed Gull was
seen again by the Calumet River & I'm sure others have done reports on
Ebird or elsewhere but if anyone is interested in some of the search
details here they are so read on if interested.

Bob Erickson & I arrived at the Calumet River at the south end of
Stony Island at 7:55 a.m. This is the area know as Turning Basin #5 on
Ebird. There before us were Amar A & Andy S. They had tossed out bread
but the Gulls did not seem interested. Gulls were flying up & down the
river but no Slaty Backed was found. By 9 to 9:30 a.m. the birder
count was up to about 20 but the tossed bread was still being ignored
& many of the birders decided to cover other nearby locations. Next
Bob & I went to Turning Basin #3 off 126th Street were Amar & Andy had
already gone. Lots of Canada Geese, Mallards & Mergansers & about 50
Herring Gulls but that was it. Bob & I were on the way to Wolf
Lake/Powers when Bob got a call from Andy saying the Slaty Backed had
been seen & photographed near the dump at 122nd & Stony Island.
Hurried back but although we got to see photographs of the fancy gull
we did not see the gull. Watched from the dump area for about 30 min &
then we went back to the original viewing area at the river.

Lots of Herring Gulls, 1-2 Iceland Gulls & 2 Glaucous Gulls flew by
but then our attention was drawn to a barge moving up & down the river
to break up the river ice. The gulls were following the barge to check
the small areas of open water caused by the barge when I noticed what
looked like a dark backed gull on the ice near the moving barge.
Mentioned this to Jeff Skrentny who said he had seen it too but wasn't
sure it wasn't some dark ice. But then the gull/dark ice object opened
it's wings & started to fly proving it was a gull after all & not just
any gull but the SLATY BACKED GULL. Jeff & I yelled & soon many
birders were watching it fly along with the moving barge.

And so although it took Bob & I & others over 4 hours it was an "all's
well end's well" kind of day.
We tried to re-find it at O'Brien Lock & Dam which is where it was
heading but Jeff was able to see that the Slaty Backed had returned to
it's original location.

Others went back for more looks but Bob & I went to Wolf Lake/Powers
where we were finally able to see Walter M's flock of COMMON REDPOLLS
(15-17) in the usual Alder Trees. By then the freezing rain had
started & so we packed it in ending a long but successful search.

Bird-Of-The-Day to the finally seen Slaty Backed Gull &
Runners-Up to the Iceland (Kumlieni) Gulls, the Glaucous Gulls & a
ROUGH LEGGED HAWK.

Al Stokie
In Cook County battling some serious wind chills today in spite of warmer temps

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: