Date: 1/7/18 1:12 pm
From: Mark Stevenson <drbrdr...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SE AZ: Madera Canyon surprise
Hi Birders,

Yesterday Bill Scott and I went for birding hike in Madera Canyon, up the Vault Mine Trail,
across the Agua Caliente Trail and down the Super Trail.

We were pleased to encounter GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS at several locations
along the AC Trail.

Along that same trail between Jack Mountain and Joesphine Saddle, Bill spotted a warbler
in a pine tree that shocked us: it was a GRACE'S WARBLER, very, very unexpected in winter.
We both had very good looks at it and he attempted photos.

Not a lot of birds up high in the canyon but there was good activity in the afternoon at Santa Rita Lodge
where the out-of-habitat Rufous-winged Sparrows continue (one even sang a bit). Not your average January
day with most hikers clad in short sleeves and shorts at 7000 feet.

Complete checklists at eBird.org

Good birding,
Mark Stevenson
Tucson, AZ