Date: 1/7/18 12:57 pm
Subject: Male Common Merganser and Goldeneye at Hwy 50 Boatramp at Falls Lake, Durham county, NC
Late this morning I had two Common Mergansers and a Common Goldeneye at the
Hwy 50 boatramp on Falls Lake.

The lake has continued to freeze, areas that were open yesterday were
frozen over today.

Note that I was on the other side of the little peninsula from the boat
ramp, looking *north* up towards Beaver Dam Park. There are some picnic
spots that afford a good view to the north.

I got at least two Common Mergansers, one in nonbreeding plumage and one
male in almost full breeding plumage. The male had a bright orange
merganser bill, green head and bright white neck and flanks. This was my
first breeding plumage Common Merganser in North Carolina.

The Common Goldeneye was there again today, presumably the same bird as
yesterday.

Other birds of note, hundreds of Hooded Mergansers, both Scaup, some
Bufflehead and lots of too-far-away-to identify waterfowl. It was a good
but cold morning.

Good Birding!

Rick Payne
Durham NC