Date: 1/7/18 11:02 am
From: Christopher Hill <Chill...>
Subject: Timberdoodle discussion and cold snap birding
Thanks to all who have contributed to the Woodcock thread. In my opinion, this is the best of this email list - a discussion of a little-known phenomenon in a somewhat obscure bird, a discussion that draws on history, research, people’s personal and professional experiences and probably teaches 98% of us something new and interesting.

This morning in Conway, SC I saw a Woodcock waddle out of a grassy roadside ditch into the woods as I approached. This was near where I had flushed a few before the cold snap, so probably just a locally wintering bird.

In other winter birding, I walked a clearcut in the unusually cold temps this morning (12F when I got up) and was pleased to see that the sparrows, at least, are thriving in this weather. I walked a mile or so and you could have stopped every 50 yards to spish and gotten a fresh dozen, two dozen, three dozen sparrows to pop up to the tops of the grass. Maybe 3 parts Swamp, 2 parts Song, one part Savannah (one flock of chippies and a couple Field Sparrows, nothing rare among the hordes that I could discern). They don’t need no thawed ground or bird feeders! A Hermit Thrush was looking a little cold out there hanging by a ditch.

The flip side was a weakened Wood Stork that succumbed, presumably to the cold and reduced foraging opportunities, on an acquaintance's frozen back yard pond in Murrells Inlet yesterday.

Chris Hill
Conway, SC

Join us on Facebook!