Date: 1/7/18 10:08 am
Subject: Woodcocks on Bodie Island
First, the 21 (actually 22) woodcocks in the lady's Southern Shores yard
from my previous post was actually in Point Harbor, Currituck County. I did
not go up there today; the roads are still pretty bad on the northern
banks. I did go to Bodie Island and drove the woods road. I found 9
woodcocks plus picked up one deceased. At the Oregon Inlet Fishing Center,
there was one more AMWO, plus a pipit. Along the Bodie woods road were also
several Fox Sparrows, feeding right on the shoulder.

Speaking of deceased, Joan and I seem to have lost all of our hummers. Joan
had three ruby-throats on Jan 1st, and hasn't seen one in two days. I also
had three a couple of days ago and have not seen any today at all. One of
mine was a banded adult male.

Jeff Lewis
Manteo, NC

Join us on Facebook!