Date: 1/7/18 8:40 am
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: South Beach State Park
Not what you want for a pelagic birding trip. But I remember one out of
Tillamook that I was leading with the boat captain Larry with whom many
trips were made ( I forget his last name). Larry's fishing boat went over a
wave just as we left the jetty's mouth not much different from that Coast
Guard boat. But without so much spray. The ocean itself wasn't all that
rough and we were fine once we got past the jetty mouth. When the boat
settled back down Larry and I looked at each knowingly but most people on
the trip didn't realize what had .happened. or more to the point had not
happened.

Then there was the one that didn't make it back till the following morning.
I wasn't on that one.

On Saturday, January 6, 2018, Roy Lowe <roy.loweiii...> wrote:
> This morning I took my wife to the walk-in clinic in Newport for a
serious URI. The clinic waiting room was jammed with sick people and her
wait was going to be extensive so I went down to South Beach State Park to
see if I could locate the snowy plovers that are wintering there. There
were people all over the beach, perhaps some associated with the run
(marathon?) that ended at the South Jetty Beach. I glassed the beach/dunes
and did not immediately see any plovers north or south, but my attention
was then diverted to the heavy surf where the U.S. Coast Guard was
conducting motor lifeboat training. It was awesome to watch them do their
thing. I posted some photos of the training here:

> https://www.flickr.com/photos/24707703@N06/albums/72157690332558781
>
> Roy

Join us on Facebook!