Date: 1/7/18 7:02 am
From: Phil <phil_reyburn_24...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Snowy Owl/Scoter - Adams Co.
Back on December 1 Jim Funk reported a Snowy Owl on the Pike/Adams Co.
line. A number of local birders saw and photographed the owl including
my son, Adam. I was in the Windy City with my wife on a babysitting
detail. When I got back to Quincy, I made a late and unsuccessful effort
to find the bird. Last week Jason Mullins was told that a Snowy Owl had
again been seen in the same area. Once more I ventured to the location,
and still no owl. Near dusk yesterday while on his way home home from
one of his boys basketball games, Adam opted to go down the road where
the owl had been seen. My grandson Carson spotted the bird sitting on a
telephone pole. This morning, and attempting to get out before the
approaching ice storm, I decided the third time would be the charm. All
I came up with was a flock of Rock Doves, making me feel like Charlie
Brown at Halloween.

Scoters. While in Canton, Missouri yesterday, Adam checked out L & D 20,
which is across from Meyer in Adams Co., Illinois. In an open pool below
the dam he found a nice variety of diving ducks. In the mix were two
White-winged and one Black Scoter. He felt the birds were on the
Illinois side of the river.

Phil Reyburn

Quincy, Adams Co., Illinois

Posted by: Phil <phil_reyburn_24...>