Date: 1/6/18 8:46 pm
From: Tina Jones <tjcalliope...>
Subject: [cobirds] Morning Doves Galore
This is not about a Snowy Owl or a Harris's Hawk, but it is about Morning Doves. I know the number of Doves I have had in my yard is no big deal if one is living in Southern Colorado, but I have had more Morning Doves than usual in my yard this winter. They arrived in pairs before 11/15. On 11/15, I had, 27 individuals [the MOST I have ever had for this date]. From 11/16 through most of December, there were anywhere from 16-28 Morning Doves in my backyard. Just as I thought this was already getting out of control, on DECEMBER 18, 37, MORNING Doves were in my yard [an all time high ever]. Yikes!

The possible cause? I have not seen the usual Cooper's Hawk in the yard, hardly at all, maybe 2-3 times in the last 3 months. Today I found scattered Morning Dove feathers on the ground for the first time in ages. Maybe I will not see the high numbers of Doves in my yard.

I always look for White-winged Dove but no luck yet.

Happy Birding!

Tina Jones

Littleton, Jefferson County, CO