Date: 1/6/18 8:48 pm
From: M Gonzalez <towhee...>
Subject: [COBOL] Harris's Sparrow update
Greetings COBOLers,

I visited Pine Nursery early Saturday afternoon and observed the Harris's Sparrow among its Zono siblings, the Golden-crowned and White-crowned Sparrows. Juncos and a couple Spotted Towhees also made appearances at the chum pile.

Mary W. joined me for what turned out to be some long waits between rather brief appearances. I finally captured a couple of photos after the better part of an hour. Maybe an early morning or mid-afternoon (pre-roost) visit would be more productive with more viewing and less waiting than mid-day?

I was pleasantly surprised by the number of dog walkers, baby-stroller pushers, and joggers who couldn't tell a Harris's Sparrow from a rosy-finch, but they knew all about the uncommon Deschutes visitor. Word travels in mysterious ways.

Good birding,

Mark

--
Mark Gonzalez