Date: 1/6/18 8:11 pm
From: Richard <birdertoo...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Dahlia Hollow Park & South Platte Park (Arapahoe County)
Hello cobirders;

Another fantastic warm winter day in Colorado, the temperature reached 57 degrees with winds 4-8 mph.

On the way to South Platte Park Reservoir, I made a quick stop at Dahlia Hollow Park (Arapahoe). Sometimes easy sightings do happen. I found the Pine Warbler in about 2 minutes. The warbler was in cottonwoods just west of the first footbridge west of the entrance.

I put photos of the Pine Warbler and one of the many Cedar Waxwings in the Park on the Colorado Birding Society's photo library:
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

The Hermit Thrush and White-throated Sparrow did not appear in the 20 minutes I waited; therefore, I took off for South Platte Park Reservoir.

The Yellow-billed Loon was swimming along the dam at the eastern side of the reservoir (Arapahoe). It was too far away for a decent photo.

Next, I drove to the eastern parking area and walked along the South Platte Park from C470 to the Carson Nature Center (north of Mineral Avenue).

A pair of Greater Scaup swam in the Platte, just north of C470. The previously reported female Barrow's Goldeneye was not found.

Another highlight was a Swamp Sparrow in the cattails near the blind at the Pond just south of Mineral Avenue (cannot remember the name of the pond).

Continued Good Birding!

Directions to birding spots and maps on CoBus website:
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

Richard Stevens; Director, Colorado Birding Society
Denver, Colorado
Contact CoBus/Report Interesting Birds: 303-324-7994
Subscribe to "cobirders" by sending blank email to:
<cobirders-subscribe...>
Read "cobirders" at: