Date: 1/6/18 7:32 pm
From: Wyatt Egelhoff <redknot42...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [NM] Colfax County TRUMPETER SWANS
Roger Clark and I discovered 2 Trumpeter Swans at Maxwell NWR at about 11 this
morning (Jan. 6). The birds were foraging and loafing on the semi-frozen lake
on the west side of "two mile road" (also labeled as "A-3" on google maps).
Note that it is a fair distance from the pond to the road, so a scope is a
must. This area of the refuge is also closed to non-official access, so
scoping must be done from the road. There were three Tundra Swans also present
on the same lake (which have been here since December), so while the two
species stayed mostly segregated, they crossed paths a few times allowing for
direct side-by-side comparisons. This made it easier to discern differences
between the two species. The overall size and bulk difference between the two
species was actually discernable with binoculars.

Also of note were several hundred longspurs at Laguna Madre (mostly McCown's
with a smattering of Chestnut-collared and a handful of Lapland's) and
elsewhere on the Refuge. Yellow-headed (10) and Brewer's (3) blackbirds as
well as Brown-headed Cowbirds (11) associating with large Red-winged Blackbird
flocks visiting cattle feeders. An Eastern Meadowlark calling near the
Trumpeter lake. I also heard a flyover Sprague's Pipit which seemed incredibly
far north for the date.
The high was around 55F today which was the warmest I think I've ever
experienced in Colfax County in January (though that seems to be the new norm
every winter). All of the large bodies of water were mostly frozen aside for a
few openings where a smattering of waterfowl were concentrated.
Happy Birding,
Wyatt Egelhoff
Las Cruces/Santa Fe
New Mexico